Author Topic: So this is fun  (Read 272 times)

Offline BLiZZ

So this is fun
« on: March 17, 2020, 11:24:53 PM »
I recently found out (and I didn't save the articles, so I am looking for them again), that during the height of CWoT Invasion (Invasion 3, if I recall) both MicroSoft and Blizzard Esports attempted to create their own version of the game. (MS claimed they got an idea from a similar game their interns were playing on their break...hmmmm  I wonder which team that was?? :lmmfao: ) Blizzard didn't state where their idea came from.

MicroSoft set up a dedicated server, had team monitors, registrations, sign ups and sponsors. I don't even know what Blizzard had.

Both ran 1 instance of the game. Blizzard thought it was too much work to be worth another go. They did (I think) 10 rounds, with 5 teams and a total of 47 people.

MS ran theirs with 4 teams, each with 10 people. Decided they didn't have the resources to carry on. Both failed miserably and got horrible reviews, trashed on the articles I read and basically said it was too difficult to run and maintain a world-wide game like that.  :conspiracy:

:lmmfao: :lmmfao: :lmmfao:

CU and I did it by ourselves. In our living room. With more players. Twice as many rounds and NO resources. And we did it 10+ times over.

Yes. Invasion was a LOT of work. It was difficult. But c'mon. The players make it worth it as even through the frustrations and fights and hard times, we loved every second of it.

THIS, is why I love y'all.  and THIS is why I do this.

The following users thanked this post: MissIllusioned

Offline MissIllusioned

Re: So this is fun
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 11:50:47 PM »
And we loved it too! Such an experience. Just goes to show that you need lots of people to try an idea before classing it as a failure. Cause obviously you did it right.
Progress:
Numerics - 36
Secret - 1&2 solved
Open - Decade 10 - Complete

Offline BLiZZ

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 05:35:08 AM »
Also, if you're going to copy someone's idea without giving them credit or at least a link/nod/thanks/acknowledgement, you should at least do it right.

We actually lost a lot of players for Invasion 4 because they thought it would be a failure since I obviously copied MS and they failed... LMAO

:dunno: I just thought their excuses were lame and their attempts were minimal.

Offline MissIllusioned

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 06:05:43 AM »
Also, if you're going to copy someone's idea without giving them credit or at least a link/nod/thanks/acknowledgement, you should at least do it right.

We actually lost a lot of players for Invasion 4 because they thought it would be a failure since I obviously copied MS and they failed... LMAO

:dunno: I just thought their excuses were lame and their attempts were minimal.

Lol that is hilarious. So they did it once then decided next time wouldn't work??
Progress:
Numerics - 36
Secret - 1&2 solved
Open - Decade 10 - Complete

Offline BLiZZ

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 06:31:01 AM »
From what I remember about the articles, Blizzard failed DURING and ended it early stating it was too hard to control and maintain.

MS finished their allotted "massive 10-round game" but said it cost too much man-power and time to be "worth it" or something like that.

Offline trinih

• Alpha Tester
  • Riddle Prowess +5/-0
  • Curioser and curioser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 01:55:07 PM »
I think that CWoT-Invasion were so great because you and Coyote worked very  hard with great illusion and dedication creating many great riddles and you two also knew how to transmit all that enthusiasm to your players.
I wonder why doesn't exist a Wikipedia page about cwot-invasion
 I would like to make a Wikipedia page in Spanish but I am not able to do it in English.
I encourage you BB, who knows cwot from the very beginning, and can write very well, that add this to your to-do list.

I didn't know all that story about MS invasion... :eek!:
Searching the third Secret...
All the others already done!

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. Winston Churchill

Offline BLiZZ

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 01:58:47 PM »
It was a lot of fun for sure. Invasion was definitely a full-time job by itself, though.

Offline Ariel

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 02:05:02 PM »
I think that CWoT-Invasion were so great because you and Coyote worked very  hard with great illusion and dedication creating many great riddles and you two also knew how to transmit all that enthusiasm to your players.
I wonder why doesn't exist a Wikipedia page about cwot-invasion
 I would like to make a Wikipedia page in Spanish but I am not able to do it in English.
I encourage you BB, who knows cwot from the very beginning, and can write very well, that add this to your to-do list.

I didn't know all that story about MS invasion... :eek!:

I love the idea of wiki pages for CWoT, Invasion, and CWoT2.  I'll have to go back in my emails and see what I can pull out for info.  My memory is awful these days. :)
Numerics: completed through 38
Secrets: completed 1, 2
Decade: completed

Offline BLiZZ

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 02:13:19 PM »
We had a Wiki at one point and it was removed by the admin and a link to the site was placed in the general "online games" page. :sad1:

Offline trinih

• Alpha Tester
  • Riddle Prowess +5/-0
  • Curioser and curioser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 03:33:38 PM »
I would try again.  Notpron has its own page and if they delete it again you can discuss and probably convince him/her.

I did it once with a page about the village where my father was born. If they ask for sources, here I am still alive!! :batterup:

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. Winston Churchill

Offline BLiZZ

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 03:36:57 PM »
Yeah, we had someone that worked for Wiki try to fight to get it to stay up. They helped edit to be formed properly and meet all the hidden requirements. It stayed up for about 6 months, so that was nice.

We will see how well ACWoT does and I might do something for a Wiki when I have free time.

Offline linkinpark333

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 08:48:32 PM »
If you do ever come across those articles, I'd love to read them. Especially if it was just before I joined in Invasion 4 :P
Main Trail: Numerics 38
Progress: Secret 1 (not solved) Secret 2+3 (not found)
Open: Decade 4

Other riddles: Wayfarer's Riddle 93

Offline BLiZZ

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 09:04:45 PM »
I want to print them and frame them. LOL

Offline trinih

• Alpha Tester
  • Riddle Prowess +5/-0
  • Curioser and curioser
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 09:20:31 PM »
Here there is the first pic of invasion1:

The following users thanked this post: Ariel

Offline Ariel

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 09:25:33 PM »
trinih!!  That's incredible!

Now I'm wondering where I might have stashed the Hollywood one...
Numerics: completed through 38
Secrets: completed 1, 2
Decade: completed