Author Topic: Data Breach!  (Read 512 times)

Offline BLiZZ

Data Breach!
« on: September 24, 2020, 02:38:22 PM »
If you use Chrome browser while playing here, you may come across an instance when Google alerts you to a data breach from using a certain username or password.

While this may seem scary and cause for alert, I can assure you it is not.

First, aside from your username here on the forum, and the information collected by the forum (IP address, email address, etc.) NOTHING leaves this site.

The "data breach" is an effort on Google's part to track compromised usernames and passwords. It is a good system, but it also has a few drawbacks.

What you need to understand is that the Google team runs checks on all username and password combos against large databases and honeypots from around the internet. When there is a match, it means that password or username (or sometimes both) have shown up in these lists as being compromised, leaked, stolen, etc.

HOWEVER, this has nothing to do with YOU. The usernames and passwords you are using are not your own, they do not connect to you and there is nothing tracking you.

You will likely see this in the early numeric levels where the combos used are literally "username" and "password" or some "common" deviation thereof.

Since you are not putting in YOUR username or password in these boxes, the "compromise" is simply that "user" and "password" are on a list somewhere as being bad. This then causes a match in the Google bot checking software and thus, the alert is thrown.

While on this site, if you see these warnings, you can ignore them. The ONE instance you should not is if it happens when you are putting in YOUR personal username and password (such as logging in to the forum or Member Portal). In this case, you need to change your password and alert me immediately.

On level pages, though, it is nothing to worry about. Still, if you are concerned or have more questions, reply to this thread or send me a PM and we will get it sorted out.

Oh! Also, one downside to these nuisance alerts is that it doesn't allow you to save your username and password combo for that level. The workaround, though, is to just use the built-in notepad to store them for later use.

I hope that clears things up.  :wiggle: